“Recent studies have shown that listening to background noise — especially pop hits — can actually hinder your writing. “Tasks that involve language processing or decision making need your attentional focus, and when you try to do two such tasks at the same time, you end up switching your attention back and forth.”- How Listening to Music May Hinder Your Writing
So what does that mean for journaling, I personally need to listen to something while i journal. I get a better journal experience when I incorporate music.
People like Stephen King listen to heavy meatal during the writing process, and if you read his books that makes sense so what to listen to?
The best music is the type that will improve focus, get you in touch with emotions and feelings, and limit distractions (background noise).
The science is obviously still out on this but most studies have found that background, ambient and music without lyrics (think classical or Jazz) can improve cognition and now schools do recommend it.
But if the music is distracting, lots of ups and downs, words that you want to concentrate or sing to can inhibit and distract you from doing your best work.
Below are links to soundtracks to help your get in the writing mood without being distracting:
- Music to get you in the mood
- A soundtrack for journaling
- Instrumental Jazz
- Electronic music
- Foreign language
- Video game/soundtracks
- Ambient noise
Best study headphones
- Best bang for your buck- Over the ear, noise canceling
- Most stylish- over the ear with a microphone
- Classiest silver- over the ear, foldable and comfortable
- Most popular colors- over the ear, 30 hours play time
- If you don't like over the ear, best earbuds
- Need wireless Bluetooth? Best one for the price here
- Meditation Journal
- One Line a Day Journal
- Sleep Journal
- Gratitude Journal (for kids too)
- Vision board Journal
- Walking & Running Journal
- 5 min a Day Journal
- Nature Journal
- Tarot Journal
**Contains affiliate links.